Sunday, August 3, 2008

Weddings, Company Picnics and Watermain Fixing Oh My!

Wow, where to start, with the beginning of the week. Ok, it was boring in comparison like usual. Just seems like our weeks are big boulders rolling down a hill, they start slow, mellow and predictable then get rolling and boy do they go!
Thursday and Friday I went to Scentsy convention. This was an amazing event and I'm kicking myself for not taking a camera with me. There was a remarkable key note speaker, Susan Ershler, who was more than motivating, she was inspiring. The thing I think impressed me most during convention was that the company President and his wife were there speaking, doing the announcements and just chatting with the 900+ attendees. The whole message of the company wasn't 'sell, sell, sell' it was 'give more than you take' and to believe in yourself, believe in those around you and live the best you know how. It made me so proud to be involved in a company like Scentsy. On top of all that, the new products are so great. There are 11 new warmers and 20 new scents which are just yummy! I'm so excited and plan on having an open house near the end of August.

So, as if I wasn't having enough fun, during general assembly on Friday I received a call from the Bird Center, then another so I assumed it was something urgent. I snuck out of the general assembly area and returned the call to find out that someone has spotted a hawk 'walking down the sidewalk' at a busy intersection that just happened to be behind the convention center where I was! So I walked over and no hawk but when I turned the corner on my way back to the center, there he was surrounded by two business men and a homeless person. I called the Bird Center back and told Kellan it was an adult Peregrine Falcon and there is no way I'm going near it (those things have huge talons and very sharp pointy beaks!). One of the business men overheard my phone call and said that he was from the building where they nest, nearby and he had called the raptor person from the Peregrine Fund group. I was SO thankful. Unfortunately though, right then the homeless man took it upon himself to run at the hawk in an attempt to 'scare' it away so it would fly and leave (????). The three of us watching rushed at him urging him to stop it and leave the bird alone. This made him terribly irate (he wasn't in his right mind to begin with) and he began yelling and cursing loudly at one of the business men about how this was downtown and he didn't own this land he had no right, etc.... He was so angry I thought for sure there was something that might escalate and before I could think...I stepped between them. The one man was still yelling very loud but I took a step toward him with literally six inches between us and it worked, he started walking backwards as I slowly took steps forwards. The business man was intelligent enough to see what I was doing and took steps in cadance in the opposite direction as I was walking the other man backwards. He yelled and cursed for a whole block (!) but then turned and went away. I walked back shaking like a leaf to the other two who just laughed and looked at me with wide eyes. After a few deep breathes, I asked them if they were ok and willing to stay with the bird because I, had a convention to return to. :D

So after convention on Friday I went home early, (had to skip the fancy awards banquet but that's ok, not really my style) to bake cakes for a friend's wedding on Saturday morning.
Saturday came and we were at the park at 9am to set up and decorate a wedding cake!
It turned out very beautiful and the ceremony was lovely as well.



Directly after the wedding, we ran home and changed then headed to a different park for my company picnic. I'm on the social committee so there was a bunch of decorating and set up before everyone else arrived. We had worked very hard to insure that everyone had a great time and it was a very nice afternoon.

After a full day of park events, we headed over to our good friend James' house to spend a little down time playing Wii and just hanging out.
Sunday we thought would be a little more relaxing but no, not really. We woke early as Maggie gets worried when we sleep in it seems. Then Cobi went right to work digging a big hole to find our other water issue! If you've followed our blogs you know that we already had fixed one but still showed a leak in the system. We had a professional out on Friday afternoon to show us exactly where the leak is. [Gram, this is when I was on the phone with you, leak guy in the house, Jordan wanting to ask me something and baking cakes all at the same time! :)]
We do have great friends and James showed up shortly after Cobi had started digging to help. I was working on the rock in the front and those two dug and dug and dug. Finally, about 4' down they hit mud then quickly thereafter, water!

The best news is, after a trip to the local hardware store, they also fixed the leak for a mere $2 in parts!!! What a relief!
So, this weekend has been something else again. I will be sending out fall catalogs to everyone this coming week so keep an eye out in the mail and if you don't get one but want one, let me know and I'll make it happen.
Hope this week brings joy and contentment to you all.

No comments: